Seaside Park is a Borough in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States. As of the United States 2000 Census, the borough population was 2,263. Seaside Park is situated on the Barnegat Peninsula, a long, narrow barrier peninsula that separates Barnegat Bay from the Atlantic Ocean.
What is now Seaside Park was a section of Dover Township (now known as Toms River Township) until the creation of Berkeley Township in 1875. The area then became known as the â€œSea Side Parkâ€ section of Berkeley Township. Over the next twenty-five years, lots were sold, houses and roads were built, and the population of Seaside Park began to slowly grow.
On March 3, 1898, New Jersey Senate President Foster M. Voorhees, the acting Governor of New Jersey, signed a bill incorporating â€œSea Side Parkâ€ as an independent borough, created from portions of Berkeley Township. Originally, the town ran from 14th Avenue to North Avenue, about half its present size. An area known as the Berkeley Tract, north of the original area of the borough, was annexed on or about May 12, 1900.
As the community grew, the name of the borough lost a space. In 1914, a newly-appointed municipal clerk wrote the name of the town as â€œSeaside Parkâ€ in the council minutes. This practice continues to this day.
Seaside Park is located at 39Â°55â€²38â€³N, 74Â°4â€²39â€³W (39.927154, -74.077602). According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.0 kmÂ²), of which, 0.6 square miles (1.7 kmÂ²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.3 kmÂ²) of it (14.47%) is water.